In 2015, that would be in the general area where China Lane now stands.
Below is a picture of the building that, in 1894, would become the first Logansport public library, as we tend to think of it, and it stood on the same piece of real estate as it does today, 616 E. Broadway:
Opened in 1894 - Originally A Home Until 1893
The above was the home of Judge William Z. Stuart, 616 E. Broadway. After the Judge passed away, the home was rented out. On November 1, 1894, the library was opened. Miss Elizabeth McCullough was librarian and Mrs. Mary Stevens was assistant. The collection numbered 1450 volumes.
Andrew Carnegie was establishing libraries all over the nation in his name and the school trustees started a project that resulted in a $35,000 gift from Mr. Carnegie for a building. The board at that time consisted of James McNitt, J. T. Elliott and Quincy Myers.
The John E. Barnes company of Logansport was awarded the contract to construct the stone building and the formal opening of the new Logansport Carnegie library was held September 24, 1904.
Rural and City
Fire photo 1941 note the broken windows.
The first steps were taken to establish a new public library on April 1, 1941 by a group of 130 city and county residents.
An organization "Friends and Patrons of the Library" was formed and Robert J. Arthur was named chairman.
On May 9, 1941, Ferd Burgman, treasurer, reported that the building, as proposed, would cost $82,000 with $29,000 from insurance and the balance from a bond issue.
A. J. Wolf Construction made the low offer of 3 bidders at $45,713.
Increase Bond Issue
On February 3, 1942, the city school board approved an additional $20,000 bond issue.
Eight hundred people attended the dedication program for the new $105,000 structure.