The Seybold Dry Goods Co. was founded in 1877 by George W. Seybold in a little room located at 313 Market street. Later on his three brothers, J. Abner, Oscar M. and H. Sylvester, were added to the firm. The building at 421 E. Market marked the sixth time the rapidly increasing business necessitated more space.
In 1915 construction began for a beautiful building at 421 E. Market. (Note: this location as of 2015 houses The Gallery Home Furnishings.)
Logansport Journal & Times February 23, 1916, page 2
“We expect to get into our new building by the 25th of March," declared George W. Seybold, president of the Seybold Realty Company in an interview last night. "We have the building completed now with the exception of laying the first floor, putting in the front and the installation of the furniture.” He went on to say that they would be hiring more personnel and added "Everything has been arranged and all the merchants on either side of Market Street from Fourth to Fifth and on either side of Pearl Street have consented to install the large cluster street lamps similar to those on (E.) Broadway now. These lights will be installed by the time we get into our new building if the weather will permit.”
Logansport Journal & Times March 19, 1916, page 2
Four firms have sent propositions to J. D. Ferguson for getting the lease on the rooms occupied by the Seybold Dry Goods Company, when they move to their new location. All of the applicants are out of town merchants. The lease on the building has expired, but the rooms will not be empty until after May first, when the Seybold Company is planning to move.
Logansport Times May 26, 1916, page 1
The culmination of over a year and one half's work by architects, contractors and furnishers was shown to the public for the first time Monday of this week when the new Seybold building was thrown open to the public.
George Seybold (1850-1924) opened his first dry goods store in Logansport, Indiana at 313 E. Market. He was 27 and had a meager capital of $900. (Note: this would later become the location of the Greensfelder Brothers building - no longer standing.)
The photo above shows the late 1800s location in the area of 313 E. Market.
Above: George Seybold